Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Perspective of Feminism

As a male, I feel like it can be difficult to talk about feminism without sounding like one of these:

Personally, I feel like meninism is stupid. It has no reason to exist. Feminism is the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes. I need feminism just like other men and women, and everyone in the world needs feminism.

I need feminism because as a boy, I was told growing up that it was "unmanly" to cry. Girls the same age are taught that their feelings are important and to this day, just like many other men, it is difficult for me to show emotion.

I need feminism because my mental illness isn't taken seriously. Its a common misconception that men can't get depressed, that they can just snap out if it because they are supposed to be strong. In fact, the male suicide rate (Article Here) is about three times higher than that of women. Men often do not get help until it becomes too late because again, they are inclined not to show their emotions.

I need feminism because I have been told that I will become attracted to other men because of the absence of a male role-model in my life. I have been told that no one taught me how to be a man, only because I was raised by my mother. I am free to love whoever I want and my sexuality shouldn't be based on whether other men taught me how to be masculine. (This is an actual theory, believe-it-or-not.)

Men are told that they cannot be vulnerable. To be vulnerable is to be feminine, and who wants to be feminine, right? Feminism seeks to abolish the roles and attributes attributed to gender. I need feminism because I, along with other boys, am taught that the more masculine I am the better. In reality, masculinity is one of the most vulnerable and fragile things in this world. Ones masculinity or femininity, or lack thereof, should not determine their value in society.

This is just why I personally think feminism is important. Not everyone believes that they need feminism (especially men) but I would like to think that everyone does (especially women). Feminism encompasses so much and it can become confusing and seen as "man-hating" when it is in fact just the opposite. I hope we can one day reach gender equality but I think that everyone needs to be on the same page and take feminism for what it really is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment