Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Eloquence


"We love eloquence for its own sake, and not for any truth which it may utter, or any heroism it may inspire" - Henry David Thoreau

I firmly disagree with Thoreau. His sentences themselves are eloquent. Thoreau explains things in a way that are overly expressive and yet while reading this, I couldn't help but think that it sounded pretty. He himself was wrong in his opinions and he used eloquence to make others think that he sounded smart, but, he did sound pretty.

I love eloquence. Even simple ideas or sentences can make you feel something. For example, one of my favorite songs Bravado by Lorde is really eloquent but it really makes me feel empowered and strong even when I'm feeling down. Here's some of the lyrics:


All my lifeI've been fighting a warI can't talk to you or your friendsIt's not only youMy heart jumps around when I'm alluded toThis will not do
'Cause I was raised upTo be admired to be noticedBut when you're withdrawn it's the closest thingTo assault when all eyes are on youThis will not do
I'm faking gloryLick my lips toss my hairAnd turn the smile onAnd the story's brand-newBut I can take it from hereI'll find my own bravado 


It's poetic. It sounds pretty. If the lyrics were just "be strong" or "everything will be okay", the message wouldn't be effective as much. Eloquence does inspire heroism and no I don't just like it because it sounds pretty. It allows me give a voice to the feelings that I've felt before but could never quite state it in a way that made it sound greater than what it actually was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment