Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Power of Persuasion/Standardized Testing


     Let me start off by saying that, I have never liked standardized tests. In recent years, these tests have become more important to my value as a student. Normally, the function of a test is to show us how well we understand a concept. However, standardized tests show us how better we understand concepts compared to other students of similar age and a projected range of ability level. I have never learned anything from a standardized test. It has not helped me in anyway as a student other than to see how I compare to other students. I completely think that all standardized tests should be disregarded when considering the achievements of a student. With the upcoming PSAT, the main thing I have to worry about is to do well enough to out-score other students competing for scholarships and the attention of colleges. If this is what we are teaching children from as early as Kindergarten, I cannot understand why people wonder why kids do not like standardized tests.

"Something is wrong with our system if we assume a certain number of kids will vomit" 

     This is quote from the aforementioned John Oliver video entitled, "Standardized Testing". I agree with everything that John Oliver posed in his argument. This was that we need to admit that standardized testing does not work and fix it or try and come up with some benefits to it. We need to fix the education system of our country. While watching the John Oliver video, he provides specific examples that strengthened his argument as well as persuaded the audience to agree with him. The clip of the girl explaining why she had to drop out of her advanced English class because she receives low state test scores, and the clip of the teacher who was cut in pay because his 6th grade student received a perfect score but less than projected score based on her ability impacted my take on standardized tests greatly. Even without my prior experience with standardized testing, I still would feel greatly angered and understood the frustration of both the teacher and the student. This is legitimate proof that standardized testing does not work. Oliver appeals to logos by citing studies and showing accounts of the frustrations of standardized tests and he appeals to pathos by the use of humor and to get people to laugh at the ridiculousness of it.

     I really liked this video. I already agreed with John Oliver before I knew what he was arguing but now I feel like it is my job personally to speak out about the problems of our country's education system. As a future teacher, I hope to change that or at least do what I can to help my students. Hopefully, the problem of standardized testing is fixed by then. It is going to take everyone to challenge the big companies and the initiative to get ahead of other countries in academic ranking.

1 comment:

  1. Ant, you want to be a teacher?! Awesome!! The education system does seem to be a bit broken, and unfortunately because the culture of power does not see the brokenness, there will be little change until us little people all work together to bring it about...remember throwing a pebble into the machine. It is interesting how in some places teachers are being compensated based on the results of standardized testing...can you imagine? Its extremely difficult to get all students to care about the tests.

    ReplyDelete