Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Take Me To Church - Hozier

Okay so I really like this song and I decided for my random blog post that I would explain why.

 


My lover's got humourShe's the giggle at a funeralKnows everybody's disapprovalI should've worshipped her sooner
If the heavens ever did speakShe's the last true mouthpieceEvery Sunday's getting more bleakA fresh poison each week
"We were born sick," you heard them say it
My church offers no absolutesShe tells me, "Worship in the bedroom."The only heaven I'll be sent toIs when I'm alone with you
I was born sickBut I love itCommand me to be wellAmen. Amen. Amen.
Take me to churchI'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your liesI'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knifeOffer me that deathless deathGood God, let me give you my life
If I'm a pagan of the good timesMy lover's the sunlightTo keep the Goddess on my sideShe demands a sacrifice
Drain the whole seaGet something shinySomething meaty for the main courseThat's a fine-looking high horseWhat you got in the stable?We've a lot of starving faithful
That looks tastyThat looks plentyThis is hungry work
Take me to churchI'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your liesI'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knifeOffer me my deathless deathGood God, let me give you my life
No Masters or KingsWhen the Ritual beginsThere is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin
In the madness and soil of that sad earthly sceneOnly then I am humanOnly then I am cleanAmen. Amen. Amen.
Take me to churchI'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your liesI'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knifeOffer me that deathless deathGood God, let me give you my life (from azlyrics.com)  
   

  So first of all let me start off to explaining what is the meaning of the song. Hozier is singing about being in love. Love songs are pretty common right? But, this is not any old love song. This song is about being in love with someone so much that it becomes like religion. Hozier is one of the first people if not only person to write a song comparing love to religion. Why might that be? Well, religion is considered a taboo subject nowadays. Not many people are as spiritual or religious as they used to be perhaps, 20 to 30 years ago. This is one of the reason why I love this song so much. I don't mean to offend anyone who is religious or spiritual in anyway and I do not think this song mocks religious people. I think love is something we all need to practice perhaps put it over going to church and being religious. I really love the metaphor. I'm not a very spiritual person but listening to this song puts religion into perspective for me. I think that it's a really beautiful thing to love someone that much to talk about sacrificing yourself in worship to that person. They are all you think about and they are the most important thing in your life and they save you. Love is a really beautiful thing and this song shows a side of love that we don't normally hear in love songs.     The second reason that I really like this song is the music video. The video shows two men who are in love. Of course being in Russia, they need to hide it from everyone because it's still illegal to be gay in Russia. I feel like this is a really good way to make the point of the song. Imagine being so dedicated and in love with a person that you're willing to hide it from everyone and risk your lives to be together. This is pretty sad that one of the men dies but this is the reality for gay people in Russia. I feel like Hozier used Take Me To Church and made it into a message about love and acceptance and that we should fight for people being treated this way. Yeah. So that's why I really like this song, not everyone does and a lot of people find it confusing and that's okay. I just think that it has a good message. 



1 comment: